?

Log in

Tickle · the · Pear


2nd trimester energy surge

Recent Entries · Archive · Friends · Profile

* * *
Which means that I fall asleep at 9pm instead of 7pm. I guess that's an improvement, right? Right?! I continue to be generally frustrated because my to-do list has quadrupled and my energy level is still half of what it used to be. Or, rather, I can no longer chug 4-6 diet Cokes a day to actually accomplish what I want/need to accomplish.

Last Saturday I got really ambitious and attended back-to-back events. First the baptism of our friends' adorable twin daughters, then a reception for a young man from my home province who was a RPCV Philippines scholar, and finally star-gazing in Rock Creek Park followed by hot chocolate with gelato. Needless to say Bassou and I were absolutely flattened on Sunday.

Yesterday I (we?) found out that Bassou is a boy. My ob/gyn suggested an amnio to follow up on my blood tests because of my advanced age. I met with the genetic counselor first, which was OK. We don't have any risk factors per se, just my age (and MoBob's). We can go either way - 3% chance of having a child with Down's, or 97% chance that we won't. The amnio was not as bad as I thought. The most exciting parts were hearing Bassou's strong heartbeat, and then the technician announcing that Bassou is a boy. She typed "boy" in big red letters on the sonogram image. I called MB right away and he was pretty happy, but neither of us had a preference, really, except that girls have more fun stuff to wear.

I still want to call Bassou "Bassou" instead of Zachariah Salvador. In Morocco there's an approved list of names and we had picked Zachariah and Soraya. Zachariah is pretty obvious I guess; Soraya is a Persian/Arab name that refers to the beauty of the stars. The middle names are my parents'.
* * *
* * *
[User Picture]
On October 25th, 2012 12:44 pm (UTC), mortuus commented:
So Zachariah is really his name not a placeholder? I like it! I do think of Zach from Saved By the Bell, but since I can't imagine you two producing any offspring resembling that Zach in any way, your Zachariah should quickly push that image from my brain forever. So bonus for me! Thanks! :-D

Seriously, though, I can't wait to meet little Bassou/Zachariah. Congrats!
[User Picture]
On October 29th, 2012 01:53 pm (UTC), ticklethepear replied:
We thought about Eli and Adam, but Z was the top of the list for both of us. So many more fun names for girls - Nina, Mina, Maria, etc. I bet we could've even gotten away with Zina.
* * *
[User Picture]
On October 25th, 2012 02:52 pm (UTC), curieuse commented:
Wow! Congratulations! How lovely to know things are going well. And even though I was really certain we were having a girl, I appreciated knowing it was a boy so early because it really helped me plan for him differently. I know not everyone has that experience, but for me it was a good thing and helped me feel a little more in control in a situation (pregnancy) where I felt like SO, SO much was out of my control.
[User Picture]
On October 25th, 2012 02:53 pm (UTC), curieuse replied:
PS - That Morocco list would have been a big help to us, we had the WORST time narrowing choices down.
[User Picture]
On October 29th, 2012 01:54 pm (UTC), ticklethepear replied:
I was a *wee* bit disappointed - girls are a lot easier to relate to I think and I have no experience with boys, plus how do I raise a feminist son? - but I'm excited now.
[User Picture]
On November 2nd, 2012 01:15 am (UTC), curieuse replied:
I know what you mean about the "easier to relate to" thing -- I had some of the same feelings for sure. Just remember whoever he is, he'll be his own little self that there was no predicting. :) As for how to raise a feminist son, I have been telling myself he can make even MORE difference among his peers by being a feminist man than he might as a feminist woman. Hoping so, anyway. :)

Not that it will necessarily speak to you, but many of the things on this list made me smile and/or think: http://studerteam.blogspot.com/2011/11/25-rules-for-mothers-of-sons.html?spref=fb
[User Picture]
On November 3rd, 2012 08:57 pm (UTC), ticklethepear replied:
true! a nice list - don't agree with all of them, but definitely thought-provoking.
* * *
[User Picture]
On October 26th, 2012 01:49 am (UTC), wunderbar commented:
Mabrouk! Zachariah is a lovely name :)
[User Picture]
On October 29th, 2012 01:54 pm (UTC), ticklethepear replied:
Thanks!
* * *

Previous Entry · Leave a comment · Share · Next Entry